Thursday, August 26, 2010

Our Child Is A Beast.

Seriously.

So, our visit with our new pediatrician went very well; while no one can replace the superhero that is Dr. Danelle, we do like Dr. Brittany (both last names are Wilson, so we differentiate thusly).  First, the stats!

Weight:  18 pounds, 11.5 ounces (yes, I include that half-ounce, my back feels it!) - this is 95th percentile
Head Circumference: 44-something cm, also 95th percentile
Length;  28.5 inches - this was off the chart for his age.

If he has no talent for basketball, I will be convinced the universe is out to get me.

Officially, he is in the 99th percentile for height.  I was sorta prepared for this, because I've already started hip-carrying him, and I was thinking it was a bit early to do that (remembering my time with the girls).  Most people do guess him at 6 months, which is where he is developmentally in many respects - sitting unsupported, standing balanced while holding onto something, the strength of his arms - and while he does not yet scoot, crawl, or roll over, Dr. Brittany said, "That's because he doesn't have to; he's already able to reach and grab and enjoys the vantage view."

Not that I had secret fears about our kid being slow.  Yes, I know, it's silly.  But I did, because I am convinced that my hubris over our wunderbaby is going to bite me in the ass and he will not be reading until he is 10 and will be in diapers til he's five.  So it's good to have the affirmation that he is hitting milestones, just out of order.

The other thing we have started, although I swore up and down that I wasn't going to do this until he hit 5 or 6 months, is oatmeal.

Well, okay.  When I swore that, I did not have a child whose growth was off the charts.  So I think I should be allowed a pass.

So, yes - we have a teaspoon of oatmeal mixed with 2.5 teaspoons of milk twice daily.  I will hopefully get some pictures of the fun time that is feeding time when Ivan is home on the weekend; I cannot for the life of me hold a baby sitting on the dining room table (I honestly wasn't expecting to need a high chair this early, so I sit him on the table and kinda hold him with one hand, because when he gets excited - and he does get excited - he forgets himself and loses his balance), the food, and a camera at the same time.  Not to mention I suspect he wears more oatmeal than he actually swallows, and this means that I, too, wear oatmeal.  We are both a sticky mess when all is done, and the camera does not need a shellac of baby drool and mush.

I now remember why most parents bathe babies in the evening.

I promise pictures will be forthcoming this weekend (barring disaster) - I need to charge the battery, and the little prince is awakening from his (hooray!) nap.  This means it's tummy time, singing, and space baby all afternoon for us.

I couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment