Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Officially Full Term!

As of today, I am 38 weeks pregnant, which is officially full term... not that this has ever mattered for any child of mine.  Both Kate and Savannah went past their due dates by two weeks, so who knows what this kiddo has up his sleeve?

The way these things work is that although you are considered full-term at 38 weeks, the typical gestational age is measured from the date of a woman's last cycle to 40 weeks - and that is what determines the due date.  So even though I could have this baby now, the odds are good I won't for two more weeks.

Bummer.  I think an April Fools baby would be entirely appropriate.  But long baking is good, so we will be patient.

Last appointment was on Friday with Dr. Smith, and she measured me at 38 weeks then - a few days ahead of the curve, which means size and growth are good.  Baby is still head down, which is optimal.  Still pummeling my ribs every now and then, but more actively poking fingers in my bladder and, occasionally, getting a shoulder in places where no shoulder should ever be.

This wouldn't be so bad except it hits a nerve that runs from my groin to my thigh, causing sharp, stabby pain and me to go spastic every time it happens - which makes me a very unreliable dance partner, tightrope walker, or furniture mover.  Ivan and Savannah are doing all the heavy lifting in the house.  The other day at Costco I had to walk with the aid of a shopping cart and I was seriously unsure I'd make it.

Yes, I know I'm pregnant, but I'm not broken.  Or at least, I feel like I shouldn't be!

In other news, I've started having the fun, crampy mini-contractions that signify a body gearing up for the Big Event, but which go away and are not productive at all.  Whee.

I have another appointment on Thursday - because Friday is Good Friday and my clinic is not open - and we will see if I have made any progress whatsoever.  Thursday is coincidentally April Fools.  The doctor will be performing an exam that has, in past experience, given me a few contractions.  Unlikely to be productive, but I can hope!

Thursday is hopefully also the day I pick up my new glasses!  I'm very excited.  I picked them out all by myself.

Oh, and I chopped off all my hair.  Well, most of it.  Like, the back no longer even touches my collar.

If you think you're getting pictures, you're nuts.  I'm pregnant and my face is fluffy.  Does the haircut absolutely no justice - and my stylist spent over 3 hours on it, so I intend to look decent when I show it off.

But it feels so much cooler, and it'll be out of my way when I'm in L&D, and it looks cute.  After getting over the shock of a wife with no hair - since our first date, it's been as long as down to my butt and only ever as short as my shoulders, so this is new for him - Ivan actually said he liked it. 

Wait til I start playing with color again... mwahahaha...

My bag is finally packed, my call list is completed, rooms are starting to take shape, and my carpet cleaner is finally fully functional. 

Now all we need is a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment