Thursday, December 31, 2009

I'm Not Okay With This.

One of the best parts, and I mean truly awesome fantastic parts of my marriage is that Ivan and I are usually in sync.  Politically, artistically, musically, it's pretty freakin' cool to live with and snog someone who thinks like you do, only better.

I have this thing left over from growing up where sometimes, it's hard for me to figure out appropriate responses to given scenarios.  I know I'm damaged because the way my family does things just isn't right, and I accept that.  I think that every day I get a little better at "appropriate."  I haven't chased anyone down screaming abuse at them and waving a flaming baseball bat with intent to do bodily harm in oh, ages.

Because of the aforementioned sync between me and my husband, I tend to trust his responses in these cases, and I'm usually able to resolve my feelings with those responses.  They feel right, and that makes sense to me.

But right now nothing feels right about what Ivan thinks I should do, even though I know it -and he - likely is.

Jackson's owner came to pick him up while Ivan, Kate, and I were away in FL.  Savannah had decided she didn't want to go, so she was house- and dog-sitting.

According to her original scenario, his owner just showed up on the doorstep, said she had no need to call us because he was taking his dog, and reached across our threshold to grab Jackson by the collar.

Obviously, this upset and enraged me.  Because that's what things like that do in the best of times, and right now, hormonally speaking, this is not the best of times.

We arrived home from FL late Sunday and there was a message on our answering machine that clearly predated the dognapping.  I didn't get to hear it because Ivan deleted it but I presume it was polite and matter-of-fact because Ivan did not unleash the hound of hell (his spouse).  Instead, he relayed the information and told me when it was recorded. 

I am still full of outrage, simply because the asshole abandoned Jackson in the first place.

Ivan says to let it go.  I want to call Animal Control.  He says to leave it alone.  I want to spray paint their house with "CRUEL TO ANIMALS".  He thinks I shouldn't.

Okay, he's definitely right about the last one.

But still.  I'm not okay with this and while I want to let it go, that dog will haunt me for a long time.  I need a resolution and while Kate and Ivan both tell me that the owner loves that dog and will likely take good care of it in future... I have no guarantee.  And I want the best things for Jackson.

Yes, I know my hormones are really playing a huge part in this.  And I know I have issues when it comes to animal cruelty.  I don't care.  For a very short time he was my baby and I want him safe.

I'm not okay with this. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm 100% with you when it comes to animal cruelty. It is NOT okay, and conscientious action saves lives. But...things aren't always what they seem, and hopefully Kate/ Ivan's prediction proves correct. If a report to Animal Control is too extreme, perhaps a quick check-in with the owner would ease your worry. Don't know how how the gesture would be perceived, but might be worth a shot. On the plus side, now he is the one subjected to lethal dog farts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya K! I don't really have a good excuse to check in with the owner. There are unresolved issues between him and K8 that are better left alone. Ironically, I do have Jackson's registration paperwork, which I need to return to said owner. I thought about doing so in person, but I think we both know where that would lead...

    ReplyDelete